Friday, November 04, 2005


Yesterday I crossed an important milestone in my life. I rode a bike on a busy road for the very first time! OK, it was just mama's scooty, not a hayabusa or anything, but using even that to go to Bhatar Road is a big thing! I was, as should be expected of a person like me, scared that I may not come back to the hostel in one piece. Rather I was confident that bhaiyaa aaj to ram naam sat hona hai. Decided that I won't 'pass away' alone. Ayan was the perfect bakra, he agreed to come with me. Of course, that he thought I was a pro-motorist helped him make his decision. I encountered many hitches. Firstly the scooty would not start. The push-button was not working, and I had never kicked a two-wheeler to life. After lots of pathetic attempts at starting that monster, Ayan showered me with his mercy and kick-started it (Let me make it very clear, that's all he knows about driving a two-wheeler). I started out well, slowly Ayan started smelling something fishy. Mama wanted me to fill 10 bucks worth of petrol. I took it to a pump and tried to lift the seat-lid without inserting a key. The incredulous look on Ayan's face was worth seeing. Then we started off towards parle point. Phir aaya bloody right turn. I've been scared of those! To top it all the road was full of vehicles, the holiday crowd swarming from all over. How I took the right turn no one knows, but it was done. Every vice of the average Surti motorist, driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking from the left, parking in the middle of the road was troubling me that night. I somehow reached Maakhan Bhog, purchased the sweets and came back in on piece. The best part of this great adventure was when Ayan remarked that I was a somewhat rash driver. He has no idea!

2 comments:

Jayanth Madhav Barki said...

You know what...I'm gonna learn riding a scooty pep plus (my mama's!) in december!

Welcome to the blog world Your royal highness the queen of goa!

Hitesh Sharma said...

congrats, that was the first genuine post i have got (not counting those home loan ones). whatever happened to the food blog?